The majority of women I help are exhausted, adrenalized, and burned-out, spending their time juggling family duties, work, and other life challenges that are thrown their way. They are often not aware that they are suffering from a hormonal imbalance, presenting with symptoms such as abnormal menstruation (heavy/painful periods), PMS, headaches, decreased sex drive, bloating, mood swings, fatigue, anxiety & depression, breast tenderness, endometriosis, fibroids, and hormonal weight gain. With these women I almost always recommend they complete the DUTCH Test. Why? Because it’s the gold standard when it comes to hormone testing. The DUTCH test tests reproductive and adrenal hormones as well as melatonin and oxidative stress.
WHAT IS THE DUTCH HORMONE TEST?
The DUTCH test stands for Dried Urine Test for Comprehensive Hormones and involves collection of a small amount of urine on filtered paper four times a day. The DUTCH TEST measures hormone metabolites from the dried urine samples. The hormones measured in the test include:
This test also measures cortisol and cortisone rhythms and levels, and estrogen metabolism pathways.
Who Can benefit from DUTCH hormone testing?
Consider DUTCH testing if you have:
Adrenal fatigue, sleep or stress issues.
- If you are feeling fatigued and stressed, the DUTCH test can look at adrenal function to see if you have issues along the HPA axis (hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal). The test also checks melatonin levels so we can assess how your sleep patterns may be affected. Melatonin can be low and related to your sleep problems, or it can be normal.
Fertility Problems, , poly-cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS).
- This test is beneficial for people suffering from fibroids, PMS, irregular periods, painful periods, anxiety & moodiness, and endometriosis. It provides a comprehensive picture of how the adrenal and reproductive hormone imbalances may be contributing to these problems.
On or Considering Hormone replacement therapy.
- This test works well for oral progesterone, vaginal hormones, patches, pellets and injections. Note that this is only for hormone replacement therapy, not hormonal birth control pills.
Issues with DHEA levels.
- This “feel-good” hormone produced by your adrenal glands, when low it can cause fatigue, decrease in muscle mass or bone density, depression, aching joints, loss of libido, and lowered immunity.
Issues with Estrogen dominance.
- Estrogen dominance occurs when we have too much oestrogen in the body and is relative to the other sex hormones, such as having too little progesterone to balance it out. Estrogen dominance can be a factor in endometriosis, PMS, painful periods, fibrous breasts, fibroids, tender breasts, moodiness, and more. It can also make perimenopausal symptoms significantly worse.
- Many female cancers are related to estrogen dominance or a dysfunction in metabolization of estrogen through the liver. The DUTCH provides insight into how we are clearing estrogen from the body. If you don’t metabolize estrogen well, you risk estrogen dominance, as well as risks of estrogen-related cancers such as breast, cervical and uterine cancers. We can also see the methylation pathway of estrogen when doing the DUTCH test, which can tell if there are nutrient deficiencies or an MTHFR gene mutation, which would then need to be addressed in order to maximize health.
WHAT DOES THIS TEST INVOLVE?
The test is ordered online and is posted to your home. It is a urine-based test and includes little strips to dip in your pee. You dip the strips, let them dry, mail them off. The instructions are simple and clear.
After obtaining the results of the test, an in-depth treatment plan is developed. Testing is important in order to mitigate guesswork and generic solutions that may not work. In this manner, we are basing our treatments on evidence which is the best way to approach health and wellness.