Bioidentical Hormone Replacement Therapy (BHRT) in Toronto
Hormones are chemical messengers that govern many processes in the body and control many aspects of overall health. Dietary changes and natural therapies are an important step in the management of hormonal changes however, in some cases more is needed to restore balance. This is where BHRT comes in.
Some symptoms of hormonal imbalances can include
- hot flashes, night sweats, difficult menopause & perimenipause, andropause
- PMS and painful periods, endometriosis, irregular periods/amenorrhea, fertility issues
- PCOS, abnormal hair growth, hair loss, weight gain, muscle loss, decreased libido
- fatigue, thyroid dysfunction, boone loss, anxiety/depression, brain fog
What are Bioidentical Hormones and Hormone Therapy?
Unlike synthetically formulated hormones, bioidentical hormones have the same molecule structure as those occurring in the body and are usually derived from a plant source. Because they have a chemical structure identical to endogenous human hormones, they bind to and activate our receptors in the same way our own endogenous hormones do. Although they are derived from a plant source, bioidentical hormones are standardized and compounded by a pharmacist to derive a measurable amount of hormone to the body.
Bioidentical hormones are used in a variety of clinical situations such as:
- Hot flashes and night sweats
- Anxiety, depression
- Poor memory or concentration
- Low energy
- Reduced libido
- Irregular menstrual cycles
- Repeated miscarriages
- Uterine fibroids
- Endometriosis and ovarian cysts
- Vaginal dryness
- Weight loss
BHRT Prescribed From A Toronto Naturopath
The following therapeutics can be prescribed from Naturopathic Doctors licensed to prescribe bio-identical hormone replacement therapy:
- natural desiccated thyroid
- transdermal bioidentical estradiol, estriol, estrone
- transdermal bioidentical progesterone
* BHRT is only available to current and active patients of Dr. Gupta, ND seen within the last 6 months. For BHRT, all patients must first see Dr. Gupta, ND for consultation.
* Naturopathic doctors must go through a rigorous pharmaceutical and prescribing course and examination in order to prescribe bioidentical hormones in Ontario.
What to Expect
Prior to initiating treatment, it is essential to have blood (serum) or urine hormone levels checked, as well as pelvic ultrasound (within 3 months) and updated mammogram (within the year) in order to rule out any contraindications to using bioidentical hormone therapy. Once treatment is initiated, regular hormone balance testing is required to ensure the dosage is correct for your case.